Alma Road, Eton Wick, SL4 6JZ
Minister: Rev Margaret Dudley 01753 - 867117

Eton Wick Methodist Church

Eton Wick Methodist Church is in the centre of the village in Alma Road. Parking is available in Moores Lane or Stockdales.

Sadly - the church will be closing at the end of 2021.

Chapel interior

We are committed to:

  • Regular worship, bible study and prayer.
  • Increasing our faith and sharing God's saving grace.
  • Seeking to serve the community.

Church Lunch

Sadly, following our decision to cease to meet, although our Bible Study Group will continue to meet fortnightly, our other groups have not resumed since lockdown.

Ladies Lunch Club

Our outreach continues, and will culminate in our Annual Carol and Mince Pie Evening on 14th December 2021, with the proceeds in aid of Action for Children.

We shall be holding our annual Covenant Service on 2nd January 2022, with our final service on 9th January.

We have a warm, comfortable, well maintained church with:

  • a spacious hall,
  • a small meeting room,
  • a good quality kitchen and
  • toilets (accessible for the disabled)
  • wheelchair access
  • an induction loop system
  • large print hymn books available.

A warm welcome awaits you, please come and share our activities, all are welcome!


Alma Road, Eton Wick, SL4 6JZ
Minister: Rev Margaret Dudley 01753 - 867117

Eton Wick Methodist Church

Alma Road and church about 1900

Eton Wick in the 1870s was a very small country village. Its houses, less than a hundred in number, were mainly concentrated between Bell Lane and Sheepcote Road, and between the Common and Eton Wick Road. There were several farms and farm cottages, and Bell Farm had recently been bought by the Eton Sanitary Authority for use as a sewage farm for Eton.

In 1877 Charles Tough, who had recently been employed as Farm Manager, married Frances Annie Moore from Rotherhithe. Annie, as she became known, was a wholehearted Christian who, on arrival in the village, set about sharing her faith.

By 1884 land just across the boundary had been bought and laid out into building plots, and new houses were under construction. Annie, supported by the Primitive Methodists in Queen Street Maidenhead, found a site for a church. With much persistence, she wore down the resistance of the developer until he gave her a plot "as a reward for her perseverance". The cost of building the church was £300, a large amount for such a small community to find.

Frances Annie Tough

The Chapel was finished in 1886 and for the first 50 years, Methodist church life in the village was fairly constant but effective, attracting morning and evening congregations of 30 - 40 and an afternoon Sunday School of around 60 - 70 children of all ages. There was also a Sisterhood meeting for the ladies of the Chapel and a Men's Fireside which attracted members from the nearby Ledgers Road Church.

When on 9th June 1930 our founder Mrs Frances Annie Tough died, members decided to build the Tough Memorial Hall, together with toilets and kitchen in her honour. This was duly opened on 28th September 1935.

During the ensuing years the village expanded and the chapel catered for numerous activities such as:

  • The Ladies Club formed in 1961 as a social group
  • Carol & Mince Pie evenings — started Christmas 1965
  • Sunday evening Prayer Meeting — formed in 1968 by Harry Cook
  • Bible Study Group — started in 1982 by the Chew family
  • Parents and Tots venture — launched in 1985 by Laura Clack

In 1986 the members re-decorated the whole building and erected the folding partition and curtaining to allow best use of the hall and sanctuary facilities for large meetings.

The chapel now

Death of several of our stalwart members failed to dishearten us, and by 1994 the second part of our Tough Assignment was launched with the momentous decision to completely refurbish the whole Chapel with up-to-date toilets and kitchen, to meet the exacting state-of-the-art Government Health and Safety regulations. This became known as the 2094 project because we were reaching out to the next hundred years. At this time "Seeking To Serve" became the driving principle of our membership.

The chapel was closed for about six months due to the refurbishment and during this time services were held at St Gilbert's Catholic Church while much of our furniture was kept in storage by the Anglicans. The three village churches grew much closer together at this time and when the renovated chapel was re-opened, a Service of Thanksgiving was shared with the Anglican and Catholic communities.

New individual seating was introduced to replace the old pews and a new pulpit was donated in memory of the Hogg family.

Recent ventures have included:

  • Community Care (mobile assistance for hospital and surgery visits)
  • The Thursday Fellowship replacing the Sisterhood
  • Wednesday Luncheon Club — started in February 1994
  • Winter Pie and Praise evenings — started on 4th November 1997
  • Village Singers — started in 2006 for people to express musical talents

Queueing for lunch

Over the years the Chapel has had a reputation for being warm and welcoming and preachers and visitors alike have enjoyed the friendly welcome they receive. As with many Methodist Societies, food plays an important part in the life of the church!

The third stage of the Tough Assignment is currently being formulated as we seek to continue to provide a centre for Village Community. With our emphasis upon "our Faith being put into action", we continue to "Seek to Serve" our friends and neighbours by our Christian witness in Sunday Worship and the week-day events.


Tough Assignment - History of Eton Wick Chapel, 1886-1986 by Judith Hunter and Bob Jeffs.


The Thames Valley Circuit would like to express its appreciation to Eton Wick History Group for permission to reproduce the photograph of Alma Road, c 1900.